BWR grade plywood means Boiling Water Resistant plywood. It is a waterproof plywood, and is widely used for making home and office furniture. Alongwith Commercial MR grade plywood, it is the best selling type of plywood in India.
There is another term BWP (Boiling Water proof) which is very similar sounding and almost means the same. BWP means Boiling Water Proof, and this term is generally used in the case of exterior grade waterproof blockboards. For plywood using the term 'BWR grade' is much more common.
The important features of BWR plywood are listed below.
1. It is an exterior grade plywood, that can be used for indoor, semi-outdoor and outdoor use.
2. BWR is a waterproof plywood. It can resist water better than the Interior grade MR (Moisture resistant) plywood.
3. Phenolic resins are used for in its making. Phenolic resins means using 'phenol formaldehyde' adhesive, which is a synthetic plastic resin. This is what gives the plywood its waterproofing qualities.
4. BWR grade plywood is commonly used for meeting those furniture requirements in the home, where the plywood is likely to get exposure to water. For Kitchen cabinets and other kitchen furniture, BWR grade is the preferred choice of plywood.
5. The Indian Standards specification number for BWR grade plywood is IS:303